Saturday 22 April 2017

Winter proof your hair...

Hey there curlfriends!

The drop in temperature brings with it a whole set of challenges when it comes to our hair and skin. Seriously, I never had to think about a Winter routine, until I returned to natural. Its a learning process- But don't freak out because a few tweaks to your current regimen is all you need to guard your crown.

Here are some tips of mine to help you Winter proof your hair:)

Pre-poo always to prevent your hair from being stripped from the shampoo.
 Shampoo less frequently ( if you can) and deep condition every time afterwards to retain moisture.
Try co-washing more as well.

 Avoid shampoos with sulphates - Or dilute your sulphate shampoo with half water. Another alternative is to add a few drops of oils to the shampoo. Make your own  sulphate free shampoo using African Black Soap.

Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise! I use the LOC method religiously during this time of year because my hair gets extremely dry.
If your hair is like mine- thick, dry and thirsty then use a moisture rich conditioner.


Get a trim to eradicate split ends.

The benefits of trimming are fuller, healthier ends and less breakage.
Do oil massages to reduce dryness and prevent hairfall. I love coconut oil. I warm the oil before I apply it to my scalp then I massage. Don't go crazy with this one or else you will have to shampoo more often.


Hair that is coloured requires more attention during this season.
Include a hair mask and try not to use blowdryers because they can dry your scalp resulting in dandruff...

           
Check out your hair products to make sure it doesn't contain a high content of alcohol.

Pack away the glycerin- (this is one of my staples) During the colder months there is little moisture in the air and glycerin could have drying effects,  leaving your hair hard and dry...

I take extra care of my ends as they are the oldest part of my hair.   
   

Try a protective style- to protect your ends from breakage and over exposure to the harsh elements.
 

Two strand twists, buns, braids and updos are some protective styles to try out and still look cute.


And of course drink lots of water...
 Lastly- I've reduced the number of times I do ayurvedic treatments because they tend to be drying.

Good luck in your natural hair journey and remember to like, follow or share this post if you found it helpful.

Follow me for more hair tips and tricks here.
Let's chat- what's your Winter routine?

Keep the Magic and stay Natural...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Let's get picture ready!

What's up Magicals!         Last month I purchased an Essence  concealer at Dischem , they were having a sale, and you guys know ...