Tuesday 17 July 2018

Meet MagicalmessyKim...


Today I feature a gorgeous Durbanite, we first met in 2016 at "It's all Natural" hair event. She has a bubbly personality and a mane of thick hair.
 Returning to natural  had lots of setbacks for her, but this curly never threw in the towel. Read all about her relatable journey.
.
.
.
Meet Kim!
Please introduce yourself?


I am Kim Houston. 
Born and raised in Durban KZN.  Originally from Wentworth now living in Parkhill. 
I am a mother of two beautiful princesses (8 & 1) and one in heaven. 
I am a wife to thee most loving, supportive, crazy and annoying husband. 
I am an avid naturalista..


2 How long have you been natural?
I started my natural hair journey with a big chop in 2003 when there was no good products available. All I knew was Pantene and Colgate egg conditioner. And then when budget allowed, kerastase treatments.
It was sink or swim.. 
All I had was conditioner, hair masks and gel. It was a roller coaster journey...

I gave in to the pressures of family and friends again and relaxed my hair in 2006/7... Later that year transitioned for a little bit and then big chopped again, I suppose I was not as comfortable in my own skin then, still trying to free or find myself and was a people pleaser even at my own expense.

I sadly relaxed my hair in 2009 when I got married ('for the photos'..  I know, I don't know what I was thinking! )  then started from scratch again in 2010 when my first daughter was born. 
I thought.. 
I need to be an example of self-love for her.. I learned to love and care for my hair and hers better too.. Still am learning.. You never stop learning your hair because it goes through different seasons and changes with the season... 

3 What or who inspired you to return to natural? 



At that time there was an actress that had such beautiful big curly hair, I marveled at her, India Arie,  Macy Gray and Kalis's hair.. They were my hair crushes.. 
And then I remembered listening to India Arie song 'I am not my hair' and I was like.. Yes! I'm gonna do it again.

Then in 2010 when my daughter was born.. I chopped it all off again and took my natural journey more seriously. 

4 Have you ever had a setback with your hair? 
Yes..  I am a lazy natural most days.. I tend to forget to wrap up my hair at night.. Trim my hair every 6 months or when I remember.. 
Only LOC it once a week when I wash it.. Co-wash twice if there is time..  Having a 1 year old is demanding.. So I end up with dry ends sometimes..  

5 What advice would you give to someone considering returning to natural?
Do it... 
Don't Over think it or Worry about what others will think.. This journey- Your Hair.. It is all about you and finding the confidence to Love You. 
The journey is rewarding

What do you love about your current 
journey? 
Constantly learning to take the compliments and ignore the negative comments and brainless stigmatized jabber about natural hair.. Accepting Myself with All My Kinks and Koils. 

7 Describe your hair in one sentence?
A Perfectly Imperfect work in progress.. 

8 What are your favourite products that 
you can't live  without?


The Perfect Hair Co-wash 
The Perfect Hair Deep Conditioner 
Afrobotanics leave in conditioner. 
Amara Avo Butter 
My Natural Hair Strengthening oil
And 
AfriTru Curl Power Gel. 

9)What is your regimen like? 
Very laid-back.. 
Co-wash twice a week. 
Deep condition once a week.
Oil once a week. 
Gel or leave in conditioner  daily or every 2 days for styling.. 

10) Do you have a side hustle that you'd like to share? business/ projects..
     

BUHLE is an accessory business I own. 
We offer Headwraps, bows, bow ties and headbands, our range consists of exclusively Ankara wax printed fabric. We also make little girl's outfits putting an African twist on the classic pinafore and circle skirt. Made from the best quality Ankara Fabric, sourced locally and each item is made by hand.

www.facebook.com/buhleteesandaccessories

So there you have it-  I hope you found Kim's hair  journey inspiring. Like and share this post if you totally did.

P.S. If you'd like to be featured here on my blog then join and connect with us over at Magicalmessyme Group. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Let's get picture ready!

What's up Magicals!         Last month I purchased an Essence  concealer at Dischem , they were having a sale, and you guys know ...